Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cast iron router table top?

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:35:15 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message
On Mar 5, 9:08 am, graham wrote:
Hello all,

I'm about to buy a router primarily for table use, plus a table!
I don't have a lot to spend, so...

I've pretty much decided on the larger Triton (TRB001) because it looks
like the height adjustment will work reasonably well under the table and
the bits can be changed above the table - this way I can avoid any fancy
raisers or tilting table tops etc.
I know Triton went bust a while back but it looks like they're back in
business - does anyone know if they're still being msde in Oz and if the
quality is still there?

The table is a bigger problem - it seems they easily cost more than the
router. Oh dear.
My initial plan was some cobbled together birch ply thing, but at the
least I'd have to get some kind of inset plate, and I'd probably always
struggle to get the thing flat. And if it's not flat it's going to be a
total pain to use!
So I thought maybe I should buy the top, and a fence, and just build the
base. Maybe the veritas top, though it's pricey and small.
But if I'm going to do that wouldn't it make sense to just buy a large
cast iron top, because that would be, and stay, reliably flat?
Here in the UK the choices seem to be:
Record
Power -http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php?section=product&seq=663&cat=18...
for around £300
Charnwood -http://www.charnwood.net/ProductDesc.jsp?cat=15&stockref=W015for
around
£280

I wonder if anyone has any experience of these, and whether they're
worth bothering with. I have the Record Power drill press and it's
pretty rubbish, and even though a flat bit of cast iron shouldn't be too
much to ask my guess is that the rest of it will probably be fairly ropey.

All opinions gratefully received.

I'd spend more money on a router lift and fence before a cast iron
top, but that's me.

Actually a Triton comes with built in lifting and adjustment provisions,
there would be no place to attach an aftermarket lift.

My lift attaches to the base plate. But that still leaves the fence.