Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help! Have odd plumbing size, need cleanout plug in Twin Cities

On Mar 6, 11:38*am, wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 08:49:01 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
On Mar 6, 3:06*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Bryan Scholtes" wrote in message

I had to hacksaw out my cleanout plug yesterday. Now I can't find a
replacement.

The size is 1.75" inside diameter. Yes, you read that correctly.

Nobody carries a 1.75" ID cleanout plug. And a 1.5" rubber one won't
fit (neither will a 2" - I purchased both).

Furthermore I can't find ANY info on the net about 1.75" threads.
House was built in 1955.

Am I hallucinating?

I am assuming that you merely destroyed the plug portion of the cleanout. *A
part like one of the ones shown hehttp://www.plumbingsupply.com/cleanoutplugs.html

I am betting you need a 2" cleanout plug. *The actual thread to thread runs
about 1/4" less than the "call size". *Most likely a 2" PVC from the BORG
will work just fine. *You may not be able to buy just the plug at the BORG,
you may have to buy the whole adapter.

--
Colbyt
Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

Threaded pipe size traditionally refer to the bore of the pipe.
However the bore dimension varies slightly because each pipe size
comes in a variety of wall *thicknesses. So a pipe of 1.75" ext,dia
will be 1.5" bore.

1.5" NPT is 1 13/16 across the lead thread and tapers a tad bit
larger.- Hide quoted text -

Why not use a compressible plug, it fits loosely in the opening and
then you turn a handle to compress the plug so it spreads out sideways
and fills the opening?