Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adobe Homes

On 3/6/2010 6:40 AM JIMMIE spake thus:

On Mar 4, 12:30 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

My friend and I were discussing building adobe home in areas where
adobe would not normally be used, Like here in North Carolina. We are
aware of its shortcomings for doing this but was trying to come up
with practical ways of overcoming them. Basically it gets down to are
their ways to make adobe hold up in wet climates short of mixing
concrete and calling it adobe.

Found out this AM that digging up local soil to make adobe or rammed
earth may not be very practical. In this case cutting blocks from the
ground would be the best way to make adobe bricks. It seems the soil
in my friends backyard is as hard as mine.

Sounds like you have caliche, no?

- a Usenet "apology"