Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
James James is offline

Default Attachment of Rail to Concrete or Motar Pillar ??

I need to attach a rail to my 92 year old Mom's front steps. I am using a
1 inch galvanized pipe, 60 inches long, with 90 degree elbows on each end,
and 1 inch floor flanges for attachment at each end.

The pillars that I will attach to are some kind of mortar or concrete. It
is 50 year old construction, but it is something that was obviously formed
and poured. It looks quite solid. I just don't know if it would be
called mortar or concrete...... again, it is solid, not just concrete
blocks.

I need to know the best method of attachment. I am thinking of either using
tapcon screws, or lag bolts of some sort, using a lag shield to anchor the
lag bolts. Whatever I use, I will be able to attach 4 bolts or screws, as
the floor flanges have 4 drilled holes.

Any ideas, or comments ??

Thanks !!

James