Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default New deck Issue - "Between a Brick and a Soft Spot" (kinda long)

On Mar 5, 1:42*pm, Joe wrote:
On Mar 4, 8:47*pm, RonB wrote:

snip
I spoke with our son this evening. * He is a construction
superintendent for a commercial contractor. *He is bringing a
compactor up in the weekend or two. *He thinks some serious pounding
out a foot or so from the foundation wall will tighten things up quite
a bit.

Have you considered that all that pounding could easily put the
foundation wall into the basement? Happened locally to an unwary lad,
but fortunately it was a block wall that could be repaired fairly
well. If it happens with poured concrete, the fix cold be spendy,
indeed.

Joe

Yeah. We are going to chat about that a bit before we do it. I think
he is planning to do the tamping a little farther out from the actual
foundation wall. I told him I was more than willing to cantilever
from piers back to the deck, 1'-2' if necessary. He knows his stuff
pretty well. Has a degree in construction management which is about
1/2 engineering, and 12 years on the job.

RonB