Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning 'real' knotty pine paneling

On 3/6/2010 5:14 AM Kate spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

I've used Murphy's, and it seems like mediocre soap at best. Certainly

? no better than my preference, which is Simple Green.--

I have to agree with you about it being mediocre, but it won't harm the
finish and that seems to be the issue.

But neither will any other standard household cleaning product, except
for really strong and caustic ones like TSP.

Unllike you, I dislike Simple Green. I think it stinks - literally. I have
not had great luck with it for the several times I've tried it.
Folks have told me to use it for my engine compartment, vinyl tops, garage
clean up and like a big dope, I keep trying the stuff. I can get better
results with other products every time. It is a total fail in my book for
automotive use.

I agree about the smell: it's not disgusting, but not pleasant either.
(Ackshooly, even Pine-Sol smells better than Simple Green, and it ain't
no perfume either.) But I disagree about its cleaning power. As I said
earlier, you can mix the concentrate at any dilution you like. A strong
solution of Simple Green will cut just about any grease you can throw it at.

But it doesn't really matter in the end, because soap is pretty much
soap, chemically speaking.

- a Usenet "apology"