Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot[_2_] Michael Faurot[_2_] is offline

Default Bench Grinder(slow speed)

Bill wrote:

I will look into the Oneway balancing system if necessary (thanks for
the suggestion!).

I got mine from Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...26&cat=1,43072

Here's a couple more bits about this grinder, I've learned from
experience:

o) Don't use regular light bulbs in the stalk light. Just about
any vibration and a regular light bulb will shake the filament apart.
Instead get "fan bulbs"; these are designed for ceiling fans and can
withstand some vibration.

o) If you get the Oneway balancing system, you'll find that you
have to either modify the wheels that come with the grinder, or buy
new ones. The Oneway system uses hubs, the grinding wheels are
mounted in these hubs, and then the hub/wheel combo is mounted in
the grinder. Since the hubs are now sitting on the grinder's shafts,
the grinding wheels need to have a larger diameter center hole to fit
on the hubs. The wheels that come with the Delta grinder have a
plastic insert that is glued in. To get one to fit on a Oneway hub I
had to drill that plastic insert out. I don't remember the diameter I
had to drill it out to, but I did that with these set of bits from
Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=527

o) You might also need to get some washers to help with the fit
of the Oneway hubs, on the grinder's shafts.

o) The finish on the tool rests is a little lumpy/uneven. This
is easily fixed by running a file over the rests. You'll feel this
when you slide a plane blade back and forth over one.

Once I got mine tweaked and dialed in, it's been great. Having the
ability to vary the speed via a dial is especially nice.