Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Burled Frau Burled Frau is offline

Default On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

wrote in message
On Mar 3, 10:36 pm, Hawke wrote:
On 3/3/2010 9:15 AM, Steve B wrote:

"Robert wrote in message
How does one go about killfilling in RCM? I am using Outlook Exress in
Giganews reader.

On my OE, I have the message line highlighted. Go up to MESSAGE, select
the
BLOCK SENDER from drop down menu. Select YES when it asks if you want
filter that person. POOF, GONE. But they will probably morph in a short
time, so you will have to do it again.

I go through, and if someone is questionable, I look to see how many
posts
they make on actual metalwork. If they don't make any or many, they go.
But some guys here know a lot about metalworking, and like to get into
the
political mud wrestling, too. So it's a judgment call. When someone
posts
something so stupid or offensive or profane that I know what kind of a
person they are, I have a one strike rule, thinking that it's likely
that
they will never say anything meaningful, and if they ever do, I won't
miss
much.

HTH

Steve

You need to give some thought to how much you would actually have to say
if you kept to strictly metalworking topics. Most people here do
projects as a hobby, which means they are not doing new things every day
and they have long periods when they do little or nothing metal related.
If they stuck strictly to metalwork they would make a couple of posts
and then go away because they wouldn't have anything else to comment on.
If you make all the posts strictly about metalworking do you know how
small this newsgroup would be, and do you know how little you would
contribute? I bet the majority of your posts have no metalworking
content. The truth of the matter is there is not enough metal content to
keep everyone interested so the topics go a lot more to current events.
I think it adds to the group. A lot of metalworking subjects people post
about have no interest except for a few people. You restrict the group
to just metalworking and you wind up with a very tiny group. Some people
would be happy with that but from the way it is now most would not like
that.

Hawke

But this group is suppose to be just metalworking. And way back in
the past posts on metalworking were the majority of what was posted.
And if it were that way again, it would not be a tiny group. Many
people no longer read or post here because there are so much off topic
posts. I can think of three that posted on metalworking that no
longer read the group. People that posted things I liked to read.

I think we ought to ask Cliff to leave RCM off the groups when he
starts a thread on anything that is not on topic. Since he is the
most prolific poster that would be a good start. Then look at the rcm
statistics and find who is then the most prolific poster. And if it
is someone that posts only OT items, ask them to please not include
RCM in the groups their messages are posted to.

Dan

Dan

And leave survivalism off their off topic posts as well.

Perhaps someone would be willing to point out some of the Political
newsgroups for Hack, and then maybe he could test his theories there, by
spamming those groups with metalworking topics.