Posted to rec.woodworking
Kate[_6_] Kate[_6_] is offline

Default Cleaning 'real' knotty pine paneling

"David Nebenzahl" wrote
I've used Murphy's, and it seems like mediocre soap at best. Certainly
no better than my preference, which is Simple Green.--
----

I have to agree with you about it being mediocre, but it won't harm the
finish and that seems to be the issue.

Unllike you, I dislike Simple Green. I think it stinks - literally. I have
not had great luck with it for the several times I've tried it.
Folks have told me to use it for my engine compartment, vinyl tops, garage
clean up and like a big dope, I keep trying the stuff. I can get better
results with other products every time. It is a total fail in my book for
automotive use.

I guess I should add that in my past life, I did some detailing.

Now if ya'll want something that will REALLY clean, get ahold of your local
PRO distributor and get some C-49. It's an automotive interior/upholstery
cleaner that you buy in concentrate and diluted 5/1 is amazing for real
crud.
http://www.prowax.com/cleaners.shtml
I used it for years as a household cleaner. Works like nothing you ever saw
BUT it can be hard to find because not everyone has a PRO guy in the area.
Best replacement I have found for it is Greased Lightening. Works better
than Simple Green and doesn't have that *urp* smell.

Something else to try would be hot water and good old fashioned Dawn Dish
detergent. I'd still say Greased Lightening.