Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default cast iron router table top?

On 3/5/2010 7:06 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:39:58 +0000, graham wrote:

When I mentioned the problem of flatness, I was thinking of the table as
a whole. The preferred method of construction seems to be a thick piece
or two of MDF with some kind of smooth surface layer laminated to it.

MDF will sag over time, but you can avoid that if you're willing to
remove the router when not using the table. Or build a torsion box and
use that for the table.

In the same way that Sonoma suggested elsewhere in this thread, I made my
router table about 10 years ago by gluing two big 32" x 43" x 3/4" pieces of
MDF together (using contact cement), then covered all six surfaces (top,
bottom, and sides) with thick white phenolic laminate (i.e., "formica"; and
again, using contact cement). That sumbitch has stayed dead flat ever since,
and my big 3HP 3612C never leaves the table.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.