Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Quill DRO fitted to a Millrite MVI

Well, this has been in progress forever, but I finished installing a Jenix DRO
on the quill of my Millrite MVI vertical mill (resembles a Bridgeport, but about
2/3 the size) today. I now have X, Y, and Z axes covered.

What a help a DRO is, especially with older machines with wear.

Now, only the knee lacks a scale. I have the necessary scale, but don't know
when I'll get around to installing it. The quill was far more important, and
the knee is the most difficult case - odd shape, nothing flat or perpendicular.

The big issue with putting a DRO on the Millrite (made in June 1965) is that it
was never designed for any such thing, so usually there is no convenient
machined surface to use.

Having a lathe helped a lot, allowing lots of custom little adapters and spacers
to be made.

I'll take some pictures and post them to the dropbox when I have some time.

Joe Gwinn