Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adobe Homes

On 3/5/2010 2:02 PM JIMMIE spake thus:

On Mar 4, 12:30 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

My friend and I were discussing building adobe home in areas where
adobe would not normally be used, Like here in North Carolina. We
are aware of its shortcomings for doing this but was trying to come
up with practical ways of overcoming them. Basically it gets down
to are their ways to make adobe hold up in wet climates short of
mixing concrete and calling it adobe.

We are thinking of trying rammed earth bricks, Very large building
blocks made of local clay soil and about 10% Portland cement. We also
found that the building code does have standards for rammed earth.
They require test samples much like concrete. Beer and work
permitting we plan to have so samples made in the next couple of
weeks, maybe the next couple of days.

Be sure to let us know how this project progresses. And some of us would
love to see pictures too.

- a Usenet "apology"