Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax Furniture Refinisher vs. alcahol/mineral spirits/lacquer thinner

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 07:14:30 -0600, the infamous "Kate"
scrawled the following:

I used to strip a lot of old stuff and love it back to life. Still have
several pieces of furniture in the house that were rescuees including my
(appx) 100 year old walnut dining room table that was painted blue and white
and a sideboard that I found to go with it that was pretty rough.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../buffetb-4.jpg

Not the best "after" pic. Had to paint parts of it to hide the repairs from
a dog using it as a chew toy.

Uh, oh! So, Kate, are you going to show us the footstool you made
from the hide? How'd you tan it? (Condolences.)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...uffetafter.jpg

No a bad recovery.

After trying several "miracle products" with limited results I went back to
good old Jasco paint stripper.
Be sure to wear gloves (HF, blue, $9 a box, change often) cause it will burn
your skin.

Even those deteriorate quickly with stripper. I doubled them up the
last time. It also removes veneer glue occasionally, so be careful.

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till