Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default Building jamb for existing doors

Hello,

I have two salvaged doors which I would like to make into double doors
for a closet. So I have to build a new jamb for them, and I am
wondering how much clearance I should allow around each door and in
between the doors. I was thinking 1/8" everywhere, so I would make my
jamb 3/8" wider than the sum of the door widths. Does that sound
right?

Also, what options are available for hardware to hold them in the
closed position while allowing them to operate independently? I don't
want to have any hardware in the floor. The only thing I could think
of was a ball catch at the top inside corner of each door, but I'm not
sure how well that would work.

Thanks,
Wayne