Posted to rec.woodworking
graham graham is offline

Default cast iron router table top?

SonomaProducts.com wrote on 05/03/2010 17:20:
I will say that if you buy a good insert plate you should be able to
easily get it well placed in a table of your choice. Some plates
include leveling screws themselves and if not there are a few very
easy and very good was to add some set screws. It will be your least
expensive method.

When I mentioned the problem of flatness, I was thinking of the table as
a whole. The preferred method of construction seems to be a thick piece
or two of MDF with some kind of smooth surface layer laminated to it.
Especially if glueing 2 pieces I can see it being tricky to ensure they
are absolutely flat (without a suitable reference surface to glue on,
which I don't have).

Does the Triton support above the table height adjustment?

yes it does, and that's a big attraction, along with some kind of
rack-and-pinion height control which should be easy to work when it's
under the bench. When the router is cranked up the shaft lock engages
automatically.
I believe the newer model also has above table height adjustment, though
a number of people seem to have problems with it.

Many
routers now days do and many router plates are already setup with the
appropriate access hole.

The Triton was the only one I was aware of, until I happened across the
Freud 3000 just before your post!

I know the Freud routers have the capability
although some people will rail against them, I am happy with mine and
use it in this way sometimes with the plate that came with it in a
bundled kit.

The Freud looks reasonable, and the 3000 appears to have some kind of
above-table adjustment too - can anyone comment on whether it's any good?

snip