Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Suspend those pesky physics laws!

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Buerste wrote:

That's how it's done with round wire. With this flat wire, you can never
lose control of it.

Are you sure about that? I've seen some pretty clever mechanical means for
feeding and orienting small parts. I'm guessing there's something
proprietary about the process, but if you could reveal a bit more detail,
that might be helpful.

One thought I had would be to feed through rollers with one way clutches
to prevent the wire from slipping backward. Then feed through a set of
jaws that work like those on strapping tape tension tools. These jaws
would be on a linear slide, to be reciprocated by a crank. The mechanics
of the crank will provide deceleration at both ends of travel. Stroke
length easily adjustable in the same fashion used by shapers.
Either an electromagnetic clutch or a servo motor to drive the crank, if
there is need for dwell between each feed cycle.

Jon

That basically describes feeder #2 but it's driven by air not a motor. I'll
post pix of some of the feeders we still have along with the new one.