Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Bench Grinder(slow speed)

Bill wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 Mar, 15:54, Bill wrote:
Any decent choices

What's a "slow speed" ? Half-speed of the usual fast (same mech,
differently wound motor), or else a worm-geared 10" diameter wet
wheel?

I'm using a horribly cheap geared wet wheel for HSS lathe tools.
Crude, but does the job. So much cheaper than the other alternatives
for wood turning. Cabinetry tools I do by hand, or sometimes with an
angle grinder (tool held in a vice!) for resurrections and rough
shapings.

Andy,

My "biggest task" for the grinder, is to put a 3" camber on a plane
iron.

Intuitively, it seems that the way to do this is to:

1) Scribe the right arc on the back of the plane

2) Grind to the arc, or almost to it, at 90 degrees

3) Grind a "crown" (is that the right word?) to the edge by raising the
angle of the tool rests.

I've read that one should grind "into", rather than "out of" the metal
so that the iron can absorb part of the heat. I can't seem to decide
in (3) if the angle/crown should vary as one goes around the arc and the
best way to accomplish this.

Bill