Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stu stu is offline

Default surface plate care

wrote in message
On Mar 3, 10:39 pm, "stu" no where just yet wrote:
I've just bought a "precision plate". I think its made from steel rather
than cast iron, but i haven't cleaned it yet. I doubt I will be using it
very often. It's covered with some sort of grease and waxed paper. Once
I've
used it I want to regrease it. Are then any "greases" that are better than
others for this? I've been told lanolin is the way to go.
thanks
Stuart

LPS 3 is like spray-on cosmoline, would be what I would use just
because I have it. I haven't seen cast iron surface plates for
decades, most everyone in the business has gone to granite, either
pink or black. No worries about rust or burrs with them.

Stan

The cost of getting granite delivered to Australia is a little high, $32US
for the plate I would like..(from shars)...$622US for delivery. Although
since buying the steel plate I have found a granite one half the size of the
$32US one for $59AU.