Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_4_] Steve B[_4_] is offline

Default Leach field replacement

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 1:14 am, "Steve B" wrote:
I need to get a leach field replaced. The old one was put over caliche,
and
not dug very deep. It was made with minimal amounts of gravel, no more
than
12" around the pipes. When checked with a laser, it was not level by a
long
shot.

The new field will require caliche removal but not a lot, and I anticipate
four days labor based on my construction experience. The contractor will
supply pipes, covering, and gravel. How much would a leach field for a
three bedroom three bath house cost in your area. Just a guess would be
fine. Actual prices if you have had it done.

Tire kickers, ankle biters, and those who have no direct experience or
knowledge are kindly asked to sit this one out.

Steve

NC has clay about like caliche but you also find big rocks in it too.
About 5 years ago when my friend had his new home built it cost about
$8000. They tried going around the rocks at first but only ran into a
new rock every time so that started digging them up. A few of them
took a half a day to get out of the ground. While he wasn't happy with
the cost he admitted it should have cost more. he figured both he and
the contractor lost money on this one.

Jimmie

Very close to my situation. Ended up taking two weeks of a few hours here
and there, a lot of it consulting with other contractors and the blaster.
Ended up using 97 tons of gravel. New pipes with "inspection ports" so if
it does fill up like a bathtub, I can pump it. In the meantime, I can
monitor fluid levels and keep ahead of it and know before it reaches danger
levels. I personally don't think it will be a problem. We also put a drain
on one end that is slightly above grade so that if it ever gets full, it
will run down into another secondary leach field. It's nice to live in the
middle of nowhere and can do things using logic and common sense and not
have to fool with the educated over capacity crowd.

Steve