Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax Furniture Refinisher vs. alcahol/mineral spirits/lacquerthinner

On 3/4/2010 5:36 AM Steve Turner spake thus:

On 3/4/2010 2:28 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/3/2010 11:18 PM blueman spake thus:

I need to strip the finish from some old furniture.
Someone suggested using Minwax Furniture Refinisher which supposedly
contains (among other things) alcohol, mineral spirits, and lacquer
thinner.

Sorry, you need to use some kind of real stripper here. Maybe that
Minwax stuff is it, but in that case, it has a lot more in it than the
ingrediments you mentioned.

Perhaps, but not necessarily true. I've found the best thing to strip
shellac is simply denatured alcohol. Because it's natural organic
resin, there are at least some stripper products out there that won't
work worth a damn on shellac. Not saying such products don't exist,
but alcohol works perfectly so I haven't bothered looking any
further.

Well, that was kinda my point. If you *know* the finish you want to take
off is all shellac or all lacquer, then you can just the respective
solvent (alcohol or acetone) to remove it, instead of a paint stripper.

- a Usenet "apology"