Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney Robert Swinney is offline

Default surface plate care

My advice: Jump in and start using and enjoying your cast and machined surface plate w/o worrying
over their preservation. Do keep them oiled and / or covered when not in use. Wipe dry before
using for best accuracy. With even a modicum of care, it will outlast you.

I have 2 antique (cast) surface plates both of which were gifts. Both had been abused from the
standpoint that some fools regard any metallic surface as "anvil", Neither had received a requisite
amount of care. They were each put back close to "truth" at one of the large commercial grinders.
Their "grinds" are certainly close enough for all practical work. Although, if I ever have the
courage to learn scraping, they might be good candidates to start on with their precision machined
surfaces.

Bob Swinney
"stu" no where just yet wrote in message ...
I've just bought a "precision plate". I think its made from steel rather
than cast iron, but i haven't cleaned it yet. I doubt I will be using it
very often. It's covered with some sort of grease and waxed paper. Once I've
used it I want to regrease it. Are then any "greases" that are better than
others for this? I've been told lanolin is the way to go.
thanks
Stuart