Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default surface plate care

In article ,
"stu" no where just yet wrote:

I've just bought a "precision plate". I think its made from steel rather
than cast iron, but i haven't cleaned it yet. I doubt I will be using it
very often. It's covered with some sort of grease and waxed paper. Once I've
used it I want to regrease it. Are then any "greases" that are better than
others for this? I've been told lanolin is the way to go.

Lanolin is a traditional anti-rust grease, pioneered by sailors and riggers from
the age of sail.

I found a convenient albeit odd source for small quantities: The US drugstore
chain CVS carries pure lanolin in a 2 ounce (56 gram) squeeze tube of
CVS-branded "lanolin cream" for about $7. Two ounces is a lot, actually.
Lanolin is used by breastfeeding mothers, so look in the baby area of the CVS
store.

Or, one can buy a full pound in a tub for $9 from suppliers of natural oils and
essences. I've used Camden-Grey Essential Oils in Florida. One can also buy in
bulk for a better price per pound, but a pound is probably a lifetime supply.

http://www.camdengrey.com/essential-oils/Raw-Materials-Lanolin/lanolin.html

Joe Gwinn