Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default corrugated asbestos garage roof, how to spread my weight?

wrote:
On 4 Mar,
Tim Lamb wrote:

Ah! You have 4" of extra storage space. My excuse has always been *very
heavy bones* as I do not float. It makes swimming very hard work.

As a swimming coach and teacher of long standing I've /never/ yet come across
anyone who cannot float. The odd one needs a little more air in the lungs to
float, but is able to. With the increasing lardiness of the nation it's
getting easier to find people who have difficulty in sinking.

Anyone who has said they can't float, I've tested them and /proved/ that they
/can/ float.

Some of us avoid swimming pools, and use a lifejacket when on water.

I've got fatter now, and I think I just about float in fresh water, but
I too used to be able to sink gently to the bottom and stay there. I
haven't tested for a while. BTW floating in salt water is easy.

The attitude of my teachers - who also claimed never to have come across
anyone who doesn't float - resulted in my gaining a mild phobia to water
that I've never quite got over, and that put me off learning to swim all
though my childhood. It was only when I wanted to learn to sail that I
learned to swim, in my mid teens.

When I was young I was over 6ft, and 10st 7lbs, which is thinner than
most - not much fat. We do exist.

Andy