Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default After

On 3/4/2010 12:42 AM, Dave In Texas wrote:

Wow. Former partner is revisiting a Frank Lloyd Wright-style custom home
in a high-dollar neighborhood here locally. Four or five years ago we
had to replace numerous redwood sills and 4X4s which formed the frames
for the plate glass and of which the house had a lot (glass, that is) on
the upstairs corner master bedroom. So now, former partner is again
replacing rotted posts and some partial sills on the outside wall of a
first story bath.

Strictly my opinion, but about anything FLW had a hand in is in constant
need of shoring up. IMO, he was the forerunner of our currrent cultural
sin of "looks in lieu of substance".

Swing and Leon will appreciate this. At Clark's Lumber, a large
outfit here in Houston, a clear redwood 2X4X8 is $5.55/lf! $48
including sales tax! 4X4X10 was $135! YEOW!

Not surprised, as Clark's is pretty proud of their stuff. Still, I buy
there a lot as I end up with much less waste due to overall quality of
product. It ain't cheap, but that evens things out in the long run.

Detering has some surprisingly good stock at good prices, but you almost
have to have a builder's account there to even know about it, as you
can't just go in a warehouse and see it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08