Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Toyota acceleration Was Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

In article , wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:26:29 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , AZ Nomad

wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:24:15 -0600, Douglas Johnson

wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote:
The thing that really stood out to me was the statement by Toyota's

president

that they're going to look into programming a brake override for the
throttle.

I have only one question: WHY IN GOD'S NAME WAS THAT NOT THERE FROM THE
BEGINNING?

There are a very few times when you want to brake and throttle at the same
time.
In the good old days, with drum brakes, crossing a stream, you wanted the
brakes lightly on the drums to keep them dry. This kept them effective

after
leaving the stream. Give me some time, I probably can think of one or two
more...

But these days, given the problems, it probably makes tons of sense. This
morning, the Dallas paper said the Obama administration is considering
mandating
it. It must make sense vbg

Not only that, but most cars have the throttle connected mechanically
to an airbox. If you cut off the fuel every time the brakes are used,
it'll wreck havock with fuel air mixture. Do you think having valves
that only last 50K miles is a worthwhile side effect of providing a
fuel cutoff for idiots who lack the driving skills to turn the engine
off?

Who said anything about cutting off the fuel? Dropping the throttle back to
idle is more than sufficient to stop runaway acceleration.

UNLESS the throttle itself is stuck open - in which case fuel cut is
the ONLY viable method (ignition cut would damage the converter and
could cause a fire)

It's still not necessary to cut the fuel flow off *completely* in order to
stop runaway acceleration.

For that matter, as has already been cited by Harry K, it's not necessary to
cut the fuel flow off _at all_ -- the brakes alone are enough to stop runaway
acceleration.