Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Toyota acceleration Was Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 09:47:48 -0500, Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

I don't know. But it proves false Toyotas contention that there were
no problems with the electronics- 'because if there was an electrical
problem a code would be set.'

Not necessarily.
If it was an "electronic problem" it would set a code. If it is a
mechanical [problem it won't set a code (usually).

I've never claimed to know anything about the computer under my hood.
Are you saying that if a couple wires were abraded & shorted to the
frame for a millisecond that wouldn't leave a code? And that is
acceptable? [is that a mechanical or electronic problem? or do the
mechanics say electronic and the electrical engineers say mechanical?]

If someone gets inside the computer and starts fooling around, it is
quite possible he could get tit to accellerate without showing a code
because he is "faking" a legitimate signal - which is extremely
unlikely to happen by itself in the real world.

Who knows what the professor actually did-- but on camera he completed
a circuit and the car took off- pulled the wire & the engine went back
to normal. no code.

I'm not saying it is impossible - but it would be extremely unlikely -
and certainly not common ( occurring on many different vehicles under
different conditions in different areas)

No chance that the right 2 wires in that harness, when connected,
could cause the fault?

I would say that whatever the cause- it *is* unlikely- because
considering the number of those cars out there, a lot of them have had
no problems. But I think there is a problem.

Jim