Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can you make your own Wipe-on Poly by adding mineral spirits?

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:23:26 -0500, blueman wrote:

I notice that the Minwax Wipe-on Poly sells for more than the standard
brush-on Poly (in part becomes it comes only in smaller cans).

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?

There are several good books on finishing. But, you still need a few
scrap pieces to test finishes. Experiment on how much to thin,
generally the first coat is much thinner than progressive coats. Poly
finishes, like most others, come in various viscosities.