Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave H.[_2_] Dave H.[_2_] is offline

Default surface plate care

"stu" wrote...
I've just bought a "precision plate". I think its made from steel rather
than cast iron, but i haven't cleaned it yet. I doubt I will be using it
very often. It's covered with some sort of grease and waxed paper. Once
I've used it I want to regrease it. Are then any "greases" that are better
than others for this? I've been told lanolin is the way to go.
thanks
Stuart

Hi Stu,
Dunno if it's accepted practice, but I use motorcycle chain lube to
protect bare steel / iron surfaces, it's sticky and tenacious, but cleans
off easily enough when you want to use 'em, paraffin / kerosene on a rag
will take it straight off. The cheapest has always worked well for me, don't
worry about whether it has teflon or such in it!

One thing I won't have in either the house or the shed is silicone-based
products, as they're almost impossible to clean off thoroughly and even a
trace will prevent almost anything adhering (eg paint, laquer) - apart from
gasket silicone, where I *want* it to stick forever!

Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader