Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default corrugated asbestos garage roof, how to spread my weight?

On 03/03/2010 22:34, JimK wrote:
On 3 Mar, 19:54, Invisible wrote:
On 03/03/2010 16:58, JimK wrote:

On 3 Mar, 16:36, wrote:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:09:19 -0800 (PST), RobertL

wrote:
I need to get up on the roof of my garage to remove the moss. I
don't have a feel for how much imposed weight I can put on a typical
asbestos garage roof before I crack the panels. The panels are
supported on wood beams about every 5 feet.

If I put up a couple of planks to spread my weight across two beams
would that be enough do you think?

I weigh 100kg clothed.

No chance. Not only is asbestos cement weak and brittle, but there is
the danger from asbestos fibres when it breaks, as it surely will with
any weight on it.

oh no! not the "asbestos cement DANGER DANGER" thread again I hope
Bruce?!

from wiki - to save the bandwidth:-

"Asbestos exposure becomes a health concern when high concentrations
of asbestos fibers are inhaled over a long time period.[23] People who
become ill from inhaling asbestos are often those who are exposed on a
day-to-day basis in a job where they worked directly with the
material. As a person's exposure to fibers increases, because of being
exposed to higher concentrations of fibers and/or by being exposed for
a longer time, then that person's risk of disease also increases.
Disease is very unlikely to result from a single, high-level exposure,
or from a short period of exposure to lower levels.[23] Smoking
combined with asbestos exposure may increase the health risk
dramatically"

Cheers
JimK

One fibre can kill. Painful death from mesothelioma. I used to read the
medical reports when handling insurance claims. Not a nice part f the job.

pah! how many reports stated "one fibre" killed them or caused meso.??

Cement asbestos is however pretty safe. Clean breaks are unlikely to
release fibres but do not drill or file (or angle grind) it.

...every day of your working life

My corrugated asbestos cement garage roof is gaining moss and it will
stay that way. Waiting for the tree above to drop a branch so the
insurance company will replace it.

and you desist breathing until they've dealt with it presumably (lest
the "single fibre" gets you)?

more hysteria IMHO

JimK

I'll leave my roof for 10 years. That way I'll be dead before meso has
time to develop.