Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Toyota acceleration Was Snow Cover On Roof Provides WindProtection?

On Mar 3, 7:49*am, wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:06*am, dpb wrote:

Yes, but you missed my whole point. * You acknowledged that it's
desirable to have some kind of interlock to keep the car from being
shifted into at least Park while it's moving. * OK, so I implement
that system via an interlock system consisting of a solenoid driven by
the computer. * That's right, the same computer that is malfunctioning
and has the throttle pegged. * ...

Automotives don't use simply a single computer -- hence there is no "the
computer". *There are a multitude of very small (and some not so small)
microprocessors. *The likelihood of there being multiple systems on the
same processor is small.

Nonsense. *Sure there are multiple computers in a car. *Common ones
are for the engine control, ABS, climate control, etc. * But nothing
says that one computer cannot be responsible for many systems. *Why
would it seem unusual to have a case where the engine start/shutoff
was in the same computer as that which determines the throttle
position? *It is part of the engine control, is it not? * *And if
there was an electronic shift interlock, why would it be unusual for
that same computer to control it? * That computer is the one that
knows if the car is running, what speed it's traveling at etc.

I don't know what exactly any of the computers in these cars controls
or how the system is put together. * Yet, you among others, are
jumping to conclusions on what is possible or impossible without any
facts.

AFAIK there's discussion of firmware but no definitive data (released
anyway) regarding the role in the acceleration incidents. *There (again,
apparently) may be some firmware issues w/ braking systems it seems...

Again, I've yet to see any indication there was/is anything that would
have prevented shifting to neutral or turning off the ignition as
effective countermeasures.

Just because you haven't yet seen it doesn't make it impossible by
design as you are now suggesting.

Just because there are two confirmed cases where it was proven that it
_can_ be shifted to neutral under runaway conditions...

Harry K