Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default mechanical zero on a small meter

On Feb 25, 2:20*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 07:32:28 -0800 (PST), klem kedidelhopper

wrote:
After setting zero I moved my finger over the meter face first thing
in the morning and the needle moved up scale about 10 percent. I let
it sit on the bench for about 24 hours without touching it. When I
looked at it again it was back to zero. So the trick is to set it,
leave it for a day let it discharge, and then tweak it again. Clumsy
procedure but it works. Glad this is my own equipment and not a
customer repair job....Lenny

Nice workaround. *So it is static. *Is this NORMAL for a small panel
meter? *We don't have much of a static problem on the left coast, so I
don't see much of that. *I waved my hand around various small panel
meters around the shop. *No deflection.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

Well if it were Summer this would be a different story. It does get
pretty humid here in New Hampshire at times and I'm sure that during
those months static would pose no problem at all. During the Winter
the wood stove is going here constantly and it is very dry. We walk
around discharging ourselves on handrails, metal cabinets, doorknobs,
etc. I once wiped out the front end of a portable two way by walking
across a room holding it in my hand and carelessly touching the rubber
duck to ground. I did that only once....Lenny