Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can you make your own Wipe-on Poly by adding mineral spirits?

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:52:20 -0800 (PST), the infamous
"SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Not to be a naysayer but after hearing about these cool mixtures of
varnish, turp and tung I gave it a try. I liked it at first but I soon
saw that the second caot and beyond, the oil just pooled rather than
soaking in. I had a bad situation where after about a week when the
oil started drying out my finish collapsed and suddenly I had all
these dry grain lines in my Sapele (like mohogany) grain.

Waterlox spent a lot of time developing their pristine finish. Why
screw around? Give it a try.

It's not cheap, but it doesn't take much. Why skimp on a finish when
it's the finish which makes or breaks your entire piece?

Nike!

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till