Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can you make your own Wipe-on Poly by adding mineral spirits?

Actually, the theory with driers of any sort are that as they
evaporate they create micro convection and carry away other volitiels
(sp?) speeding up the drying process for the whole surface worth of
compounds. I know with lacquer it is a fact as far as I am concerned.

On Mar 3, 3:58*pm, blueman wrote:
Zz Yzx writes:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:23:26 -0500, blueman wrote:

I notice that the Minwax Wipe-on Poly sells for more than the standard
brush-on Poly (in part becomes it comes only in smaller cans).

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?

I've used naptha to thin as well. *It evaporates very quickly, and
allows re-coating earlier.

The regular (non wipe-on) Minwax poly claims you can recoat after 4-6 hours.
How much faster can you recoat when diluted with Naptha?

I would have (naively perhaps) thought that waiting for the Naptha to
evaporate would still leave you with the poly which would then take the
same more or less 4-6 hours to dry though maybe a bit less since you end
up applying a thinner coat.- Hide quoted text -