Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Beryl[_5_] Beryl[_5_] is offline

Default surface plate care

stu wrote:
I've just bought a "precision plate". I think its made from steel rather
than cast iron, but i haven't cleaned it yet. I doubt I will be using it
very often. It's covered with some sort of grease and waxed paper. Once I've
used it I want to regrease it. Are then any "greases" that are better than
others for this? I've been told lanolin is the way to go.
thanks
Stuart

Dunno. But Northrop/Westwood/Redstone/Crimson college by LAX has a big
one! I think it's iron. Usually covered with a plywood sheet, I didn't
know what was under the plywood until I got into the recip engine class
where it was located. Pretty dinged up. I watched a classmate place some
metal thing on it and wail on it with a hammer. I don't think anyone at
the school realized what it was.