Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default corrugated asbestos garage roof, how to spread my weight?

In message
,
terry writes
On Mar 3, 1:58*pm, JimK wrote:
On 3 Mar, 16:36, Bruce wrote:

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:09:19 -0800 (PST), RobertL

wrote:
I need to get up on the roof of my garage to remove the moss. * I
don't have a feel for how much imposed weight I can put on a typical
asbestos garage roof before I crack the panels. *The panels are
supported on wood beams about every 5 feet.

If I put up a couple of planks to spread my weight across two beams
would that be enough do you think?
I weigh 100kg clothed.

No chance. *Not only is asbestos cement weak and brittle, but there is
the danger from asbestos fibres when it breaks, as it surely will with
any weight on it.

oh no! not the "asbestos cement DANGER DANGER" thread again I hope
Bruce?!

from wiki - to save the bandwidth:-

"Asbestos exposure becomes a health concern when high concentrations
of asbestos fibers are inhaled over a long time period.[23] People who
become ill from inhaling asbestos are often those who are exposed on a
day-to-day basis in a job where they worked directly with the
material. As a person's exposure to fibers increases, because of being
exposed to higher concentrations of fibers and/or by being exposed for
a longer time, then that person's risk of disease also increases.
Disease is very unlikely to result from a single, high-level exposure,
or from a short period of exposure to lower levels.[23] Smoking
combined with asbestos exposure may increase the health risk
dramatically"

Cheers
JimK- Hide quoted text -

As above; very little danger if any, just because it is asbestos.
Cracking, leaks, falling through/injury yes.
Don't get onto it at all! Pressure wash or scrape from the sides, also
one could make a shaped scraper to fit the grooves on a longish
handle!
But why is it necessary to remove the moss?
PS. Have cut asbestos with hand saw, and on one or two occasions with
a hand held electric circular saw, during the last 55 years. Always
outside and making sure to keep everything damp to avoid inhaling
fibres. And am still around!

Spent a year erecting pre-fab buildings

One on the roof drilling, one underneath putting on the clips. The air
inside was a haze of fibres

--
geoff