Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Sanding for finishing

SBH wrote:
Awhile ago the question was asked about sandpaper grit for finish
work. Though the general consensus agreed upon the small range of
grit, one question I was wondering when sanding to stain and finish
is to use a sander or do it by hand? Is one method better than the
other, other than eliminating tired arms? If using a sander, what
type is best?
Thanks

How much are you sanding? The equivalent of 2-3 sheets of 4x8' ply or of
one square foot? For the latter, I'd probably hand sand, mechanical for the
former.

For mechanical finish sanding I like the Porter Cable half sheet sander for
the following reasons:
1. It is heavy but not tiring to use as I need only guide it
2. It has a thick felt pad which helps sand areas that may not be quite
flat; i.e., slightly depressed
3. It is well made

Regardless of *how* you sand, sand more than you think you need.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...