Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_4_] Steve B[_4_] is offline

Default Leach field replacement

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Steve B wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Mar 2, 12:14 am, "Steve B" wrote:
I need to get a leach field replaced. The old one was put over caliche,
and
not dug very deep. It was made with minimal amounts of gravel, no more
than
12" around the pipes. When checked with a laser, it was not level by a
long
shot.

The new field will require caliche removal but not a lot, and I
anticipate
four days labor based on my construction experience. The contractor
will
supply pipes, covering, and gravel. How much would a leach field for a
three bedroom three bath house cost in your area. Just a guess would be
fine. Actual prices if you have had it done.

Tire kickers, ankle biters, and those who have no direct experience or
knowledge are kindly asked to sit this one out.

Steve

What kind of soil is caliche?

reply: I think it is Spanish for concrete.

Wiki and other references seem to agree, it is a concrete made of
calcium carbonate with any variety of aggregates such as sand, pebbles,
etc. I would expect an excavator or bobcat with a hydraulic breaker and
suitable point could deal with it reasonably well.

I can tell you have never worked with caliche.

Steve