Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Toyota acceleration Was Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

In article , wrote:
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:26:29 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Hell Toupee wrote in :

Harry K wrote:
On Mar 1, 11:31 pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:53:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I don't know, but in the case of the Lexus that killed 4 people in
CA, the car was going out of control long enough for a passenger to
call 911 and be on the call long enough to tell what was happening.
The driver was a CA Highway Patrol officer, who you would think
would have enough sense and understanding of what to do so with
that amount of time you would think he would have tried all the
obvious things.
At the time, I thought it was the driver's fault, but I don't think
so anymore.

I _know_ it was the driver's fault. There is no debate about that.
He was just plain stupid.

More the fault of the car dealership that gave him that loaner car
even after the previous customer who'd used it reported the sudden
acceleration problem to them. They loaned it out again anyway.

It's common to have failures that are not readily repeatable by service
techs. You can't fix when you cannot diagnose, because the reported
problem did not occur when checking it out.

and isn't the operator responsible for learning about the engine
shut-off procedure from the Operators Manual? Even if it's a loaner?

The operator should have known there was a problem, diagnosed it and
fixed it properly before leaving the dealership. He must have been
stupid.

So the operator is supposed to do the job of his dealership's mechanic
onto the dealership's loaner car? For a problem that the operator had no
opportunity to become aware of until on the road way out somewhere?

(Or was the operator supposed to not leave the dealership after
returning the car until the dealership confirms successful diagnosis and
repair of the problematic loaner car being returned by the operator?
And to verify that the dealership was not dishonest about successful
diagnosis and repair of the dealership's loaner car after it's return to
the dealership?)

- Don Klipstein )