Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default Greenish debris coming from hot tap

Steve Firth wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:

Safer than bleach though, is water purification tablets (the type for
using in drinking water in dodgy parts of the world - buy them in
Boots) - chuck a whole packet of them in the header tank.
And water purification tablets are an expensive way of buying bleach.

Bleach is usually sodium hypochlorite, Na Cl O.

No, "bleach" is a generic term for any chemical that removes colouur,
the term covers a wide range of chemicals mostly oxidising agents.

The purifying tables I have are Sodium dichloroisocyanurate, C3 Cl2 N3
Na O3. These are for camping, but the same stuff seems to be used in
swimming pools (which might be cheaper for large quanitities!)

Although both smell of chlorine they are different chemicals.

I suggest you go and learn some chemistry.

Steve,

this is the kind of post that makes a lot of people put you in their
block list.

When I said "Bleach is usually sodium hypochlorite, Na Cl O." I menat
usually. Not always. That bottle you have in the bathroom cupboard for
cleaning, that everyone calls bleach because that is what is on the
label? It's probably NaClO. Usually (and I mean the word precisely) if
you look at a container marked "Bleach" that is what is in it. Not
always. Major industrial processes - paper springs to mind - often use
different chemicals to reduce environmental impact.

Now perhaps you'd like to consider how your post helped anyone.

Andy