Posted to uk.d-i-y
terry terry is offline

Default Greenish debris coming from hot tap

On Mar 1, 7:51*pm, Rod wrote:
On 01/03/2010 21:49, JimK wrote:

On Mar 1, 8:20 pm, Andy *wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
*wrote:

Safer than bleach though, is water purification tablets (the type for
using in drinking water in dodgy parts of the world - buy them in
Boots) - chuck a whole packet of them in the header tank.

And water purification tablets are an expensive way of buying bleach.

Bleach is usually sodium hypochlorite, Na Cl O.

The purifying tables I have are Sodium dichloroisocyanurate, C3 Cl2 N3
Na O3. *These are for camping, but the same stuff seems to be used in
swimming pools (which might be cheaper for large quanitities!)

Although both smell of chlorine they are different chemicals.

Andy

shurely the "active" ingredient in either is chlorine?

JimK

There are some that are iodine-based. You categorically do not want to
overdose on that. And no, the active ingredient in them is not chlorine.

--
Rod- Hide quoted text -

Could be that the hot water is not hot enough! As result bacteria may
be growing in the HW tank?
In the USA some connection has been made between that and Legionnaires
disease!
There were a series of postings on a similar North American (Canada-
USA) quite recently; although nothing as dramatic!
Here the Dept. of Health require 160 deg F. for safe dish washing and
when we operated a school cafeteria for some 30 years their inspectors
would test the water temp.
'Snot' growing in the hot water sytem sounds extremely unhealthy/
unsafe?
Suggest urgent action.