Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Laminate Flooring

aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:
I am in the process of picking out wood laminate flooring for my entry
way, and all the way down the hallway. This will replace carpet.

I have a small area of laminate flooring in the entry way right now,
and it still looks like new after eleven years. Unfortunately, I
cannot get the same thing any more. I really like it. It is light in
color.

Can anyone give me tips as to what type of laminate I should get?
I want something that really lasts. From what I understand there is an
oiled laminate and a hard coated, but I don't know the terms.

Thanks everyone.

Kate

What is under the carpet? Is the laminate original, or was entry hall
tile or slate originally? I wouldn't use any sort of wood or wood-based
product right next to a exterior weather door. If by some chance there
is old wood under the carpet (unlikely if house is only 11 years old
like the existing laminate), I'd refinish that, and put something harder
by the door, like ceramic or slate. If it is particle board under the
carpet and laminate, I'd still go with something harder by the door, and
wood-surface laminate for the rest of it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of laminate, no matter how
cheap/convenient/durable it is. The pattern of the seams just leaps out
at me, making it impossible to think of it as a real wood floor, even if
it is the wood-surface 'engineered' flooring. But that is just me- I
grew up with real Bruce hardwood back in the stone age, and nothing else
looks right to me. And I'd sooner have vinyl, or even w/w carpet, than
fake woodgrain.

--
aem sends...

I had new carpet installed when I bought the house. Of course, there is
a carpet pad, but I am not sure what is underneath that. The original
wood is under the carpet I would think.

The small patch of laminate right in front of the front door is the
original. It still looks like new.

I know lots of folks don't like the look of laminate. One of the
installers that did my tile work said he would not recommend real wood
in my neck of the woods. He said real wood needs to be kept at a
certain humidity level 24/7.

I am still debating.

Thanks for your feedback. I love this group.