Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Toyota acceleration Was Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 16:37:24 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:49:48 -0600, dpb wrote:

LouB wrote:
Tony wrote:
mm wrote:

My friend had a Rav 4. I don't know what that is. Today my friend
says it has unintended acceleration, but only a little. !!!!

If I owned one of those Toyota vehicles affected, I would install an
auxiliary engine kill switch before I drove it again.

And when you kill the engine you loose both power steering and power
brakes.

Better than uncontrolled acceleration, undoubtedly.

Unless they're fully hydraulic steering (of which I know of no autos; do
have such a tractor), it's only the power assist that's lost, not
steering. Same w/ the brakes, it's only the power assist.

The actual recommendation is to shift to neutral and let it over-rev;
what possibility/likelihood of blowing an engine is I've not firm
estimate but if that happens you're in same boat anyway...

Probability of blowing the engine is much less than 2% - the compiuter
shuts off fuel at about 4500 RPM in neutral.

Unless of course the runaway condition is being caused by a fault in
the computer!

Maybe it will shut off the fuel, and maybe it won't. Toyota insisted
that the computer would have thrown up an error code after an alleged
runaway incident. It has been proven conclusively that that is not
correct. An engineer has demonstrated live on TV that he can cause the
computer to go into runaway acceleration, and it does not throw up any
trouble codes as a result.