Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction
Thomas G. Marshall[_2_] Thomas G. Marshall[_2_] is offline

Default Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?)

On Mar 1, 10:05*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 1, 9:25*pm, "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

I was wondering this.

It's never ideal of course, but sooner or later for small projects I
end up needing to end-screw (side screw?) into a plywood sheet. *Is
there a "teethier" than normal woodscrew for the job?

A woodworker for small projects that I saw was using drywall screws
which just don't ever work well in any wood IME, but beats me about
plywood.

Particle board screws, aka low-root, work well if you drill a pilot
hole. A drill bit slightly larger than the root of the screw works
best. If you drill too small a pilot hole, the threads will try to
push the plies apart, weakening their hold.

Interesting idea. Given how much adhesive (epoxy?) is used in the
making of these things I'm tempted to tap out something coarse and use
a machine screw.