Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry[_7_] Larry[_7_] is offline

Default How you can save fuel and the environment

(Edward A. Falk) wrote in
:

In article
, cmagers
wrote:

".." wrote in message

groups.com.. .
hard
braking) wastes gas.

Never seen gas powered brakes.

Every joule of heat energy dissipated by the brakes
represents wasted energy that originally came from
gasoline. A better approach is to take your foot off the
gas as you approach a stop.

In a sense, hard braking doesn't waste gas -- it's an
indicator that you've *already* wasted the gas.

Actually that is only partially true. Some cars, especially
hybrids, sense deceleration and charge the battery at full
output. It saves brake wear and it saves the gas you would
have spent charging the battery had you slowed the vehicle at
a more casual pace. Most if not all newer cars completely shut
off fuel when decelerating.

It's been a while since I was in that industry but they were
doing that as far back as late 80's. I can only assume with
the proliferation of electronics it has made it more feasible
at a lower cost.

Larry