Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill McKee Bill McKee is offline

Default building jeep frame

"RAM³" wrote in message
. 10...
"Bill McKee" wrote in
m:

Why not aluminum? I have an aluminum boat trailer. Works very well.
3400# boat. The Covette has an aluminum frame as well as the Cadillac
bodied Vette. Look at a Corvette and see what they use. Airplanes
have aluminum frames. And as long as you design well, the flex should
not be a problem.

Boat trailers are rarely twisted the way that off-road vehicles routinely
are.

The same thing applies to Corvettes.

After all, when was the last time that you went rock-crawling with your
'Vette? Grin

How about mud-bogging or bouncing around on deeply-rutted roads?

Jeeps are expected to do all of these and more without any ill effects.
(Getting dirty/muddy is, for a Jeep, a good thing!)

Hell, I raced a vette, steel chassis, and it got to rock clrawing a couple
times. :) And boat trailers are regularly towed over uneven ground.