Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default What went wrong with weatherization

On Feb 28, 1:32�pm, aemeijers wrote:
harry wrote:
On Feb 28, 2:13 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Popular Mechanics article on the dismal failure of the stimulus-plan - and
other - weatherization projects.

It's not all bad, though. Ohio is going gang-busters! of the 32,000 units
planned for attention, a whopping 2% have been processed. Ohio leads the
nation!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...vement/4347294....

"I'm from the government and I'm here to dilly-dally."

When I visited the USA a couple of years ago (I'm from the UK) I took
the opportunity to look round a few domestic house construction site.
By UK standards, what I saw was abysmal in terms of energy efficiency.
Houses here in the UK have insulation around four times as
effective,not to mention more efficient windows and draught proofing.
This was Iowa. � Our average Winter temperature is maybe 35 deg F.
Iowa maybe 10?. I would say there was no way these houses could be
significantly improved by retrofitting insulation ect. �America is
twenty years behing the rest of the world. � A bit like American cars
in fact. �Useless and outdated.

Okay, yeah, maybe most US houses are on the lightweight side. What can I
say? Material and land and energy used to be cheap here. House falls
down, move a mile further out and build a new one. Can't do that in UK-
no room. And while new construction may be more energy-efficient on that
side of the pond, what percentage of the existing housing stock is built
to those standards?

But for somebody from UK to call US cars crappy? Pot-Kettle-Black, etc.
At least we still have a couple of US-owned manufacturers left.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

The Chinese have a virtual slave labour work force. We will never
compete with them. The only way to win is by innovation.