Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default What went wrong with weatherization

On Mar 1, 9:50*am, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 04:56:39 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:
When I visited the USA a couple of years ago (I'm from the UK) I took
the opportunity to look round a few domestic house construction site.

Where did you visit? *Much of the U.S. doesn't need much insulation.
I bet if you visited a recent minnisota house, you'd find insulation superior
to any brit house. *Their requirements dwarf yours.

I haven't been to the UK except on a plane connection, but I've lived
in both Germany and Minnesota. (roughly same latitude)

There is just no comparison. The biggest difference is inflitration.
Minnesota houses were built like a sieve, air almost blows through
them. The German houses showed how tight you can get with proper
attention to construction detail - they had so few air changes per day
(not per hour) that most people open windows to ventilate. (yeah,
seems counterproductive, but humidity would build up) The German
windows really seal and really insulate, while being operable (tilt or
close).