Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 120hz versus 240hz

But this isn't so. A crap picture may, I agree, look 'ok' to someone
who knows no better, but that doesn't alter the fact that it is still a
crap picture that those who *do* know better, will see for what it is.
LCD panels produce crap images in terms of motion blur, and when
compared for this effect to CRTs, plasma panels, and OLEDs.

I've seen plasma and oled. I can see differences between those and
standard LCD panels but not in my wildest dreams would I call them
crap. Most of my viewing is done in standard 480P 4:3 aspect cropped
to fill the screen. I don't need a high dollar plasma set for that, it
would be overkill. I own a Sony 720i/1080i HDMI upscaling DVDR that
produces sharp clear video. Once in a while I do notice a scan wave
because of the upscaling but the grand scheme of things make those
things very forgettable.

The 32" Vizio LCD in my den has a very wide viewing angle and does not show
significant smearing or blurring with rapid motion. (I paid about $380 for
it.)

With respect to scaling... People here and elsewhere have said they see no
point to Blu-ray disks, as they see little or no difference with upscaled
DVDs. Ergo, Blu-rays are a ripoff. I watched the Blu-ray of "The Sixth
Sense" yesterday, which threw this issue into sharp perspective.

The transfer is typical Disney -- extremely sharp and detailed, with rich
colors. It's close to demo quality.

Some of the supplemental material includes scenes from the Blu-ray transfer
that have been letterboxed into a 4:3 image. (Got that?) When I select ZOOM
on my Kuro, that section is blown up to full screen. ("The Sixth Sense" was
shot at 1.85:1.) Viewing at these images in isolation -- they look fine.
They're slightly soft, but one might believe it's the fault of the source
material. They don't look upscaled -- until you compare them with
full-resolution Blu-ray. There is no comparison!