Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default building jeep frame

Tim Wescott wrote:
mark wrote:
On Mar 1, 8:16 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Feb 28, 9:16 pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

On my Landcruiser, all cross members (except for one) and attachment
points are riveted to the frame rails. This allows them to flex w.r.t
each other and not build up bending torque. ...
Paul Hovnanian
Why is a riveted joint more flexible?

jsw

This Jeep is not for rock crawling or very uneven ground, 99% of it's
life will be on paved roads so there will not be extreme flexing
involved. As for buying one, by the time it got to me it on the east
coast of Canada, with shipping, exchange rate, tax, galvanizing
option, brockerage fees it would be closer to $3000.00.

Ooh -- ouch. Everyone assumes (well, at least I did, and I didn't see
qualifications to the contrary) that someone who's posting is local.

OK -- build it yourself. But use mild steel. Unless you're _really_
out in the boonies there should be reachable outfits that do
galvanizing. If not, mix up some zinc chromate epoxy primer (if you
can still get _that_) and roll it around inside all of the frame rails
when you're done with the build up.

Be sure it's square and straight, or your doors will _never_ fit.

If box section then you need to provide drain holes for the zinc to
enter and exit. A guy I knew had a box section chassis galvanised and
the company didn't drain it well, they charged by weight so he got a
bigger bill than originally estimated and couldn't carry the chassis
easily any more. So get a fixed price or make sure it can be drained
easily. A company near me gets Marcos chassis galvanised, talking to the
owner he said it took them a few goes and a tame galvaniser to get the
drain procedure right but the Marcos chassis is somewhat more
complicated than a ladder frame Jeep chassis.