Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_3_] Tim Wescott[_3_] is offline

Default building jeep frame

mark wrote:
On Mar 1, 8:16 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Feb 28, 9:16 pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

On my Landcruiser, all cross members (except for one) and attachment
points are riveted to the frame rails. This allows them to flex w.r.t
each other and not build up bending torque. ...
Paul Hovnanian

Why is a riveted joint more flexible?

jsw

This Jeep is not for rock crawling or very uneven ground, 99% of it's
life will be on paved roads so there will not be extreme flexing
involved. As for buying one, by the time it got to me it on the east
coast of Canada, with shipping, exchange rate, tax, galvanizing
option, brockerage fees it would be closer to $3000.00.

Ooh -- ouch. Everyone assumes (well, at least I did, and I didn't see
qualifications to the contrary) that someone who's posting is local.

OK -- build it yourself. But use mild steel. Unless you're _really_
out in the boonies there should be reachable outfits that do
galvanizing. If not, mix up some zinc chromate epoxy primer (if you can
still get _that_) and roll it around inside all of the frame rails when
you're done with the build up.

Be sure it's square and straight, or your doors will _never_ fit.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com